Steps To Take After A Car Accident
Our highly respected car accident lawyers explain what you need to know
After a car accident, it’s important to take certain steps to protect your health and your legal rights. That’s why our McAllen car accident attorneys at Karam Law Firm created this page. We understand how overwhelming and confusing car accidents can be for many people. We want to help guide you through this process.
Founding attorney Aizar J. Karam Jr. has more than 24 years of legal experience. He understands how the legal system works in Texas. He knows the law. He has extensive experience working with insurance companies. As a result, he knows how they think and how to negotiate effectively with them. You can count on Karam when it matters most.
Along with this page, you can also find other content on our website geared specifically for what to do after a car accident. In particular, you can find more information about what to do if you get hit by a car. The bottom line is we’re here to help you every step of the way.
What should I do after a car accident?
The following steps listed below apply to most car accidents caused by another driver. We also strongly urge you to contact our law firm as soon as possible because every car accident is different. When you meet with us, we can carefully evaluate your crash and explain your legal options during your free case evaluation with us.
- Call the police – Even if the other driver doesn’t want to call the police, do so anyway. It’s always best to have a police officer respond to your car accident and investigate your crash. That way, there will be an official car accident report. This is very important, since many at-fault drivers often later try to claim they didn’t do anything wrong.
- Seek medical attention – Even if you feel fine, have an emergency medical technician, a doctor or another medical professional examine you. You could have a life-threatening injury and not even realize it. If your accident happened a few days ago, it’s not too late to see a doctor right away. Your health and well-being should always come first.
- Get driver’s information – Get the other driver’s personal information after the accident. This includes the driver’s name, driver’s license number, address, phone number and insurance information. Feel free to give the same information to the driver, but not say anything else. Anything you say about your crash – even something as simple as “I’m sorry” – could be later used against you to deny your accident claim.
- Talk to witnesses – If someone saw your car accident, get the person’s name and phone number. Eyewitness testimony can be a powerful piece of evidence in a car accident claim.
- Take pictures – If you are healthy enough to do so, take pictures of your car accident and anything else that could be used as evidence in your case. This may include stop signs, traffic signals, weather conditions or road conditions.
- Call your insurance company – Call your insurance company soon after your accident and tell them you have been in a crash caused by another driver. At this point, don’t say anything else. While your insurance company may be able to help you, they could also potentially be a barrier to you obtaining the money you deserve in certain circumstances. This includes hit-and-run accidents.
- Don’t discuss your accident – If the other driver’s insurance company contacts you, don’t talk to them. Anything you say could be used by them to deny your claim. That’s also why you should not talk about your accident with friends or post anything on social media about your car crash. Insurance companies often closely monitor these posts and interview people for one reason only – to find anything they can use against you.
- Contact our law firm – Talk to an attorney as soon as possible at our law firm. We can help you every step of the way, from filling out forms to dealing with insurance companies on your behalf.
The stakes are often very high when it comes to car accidents. Depending on the severity of your injuries, the length of your recovery and many other factors, your accident-related expenses can easily add up to thousands or even millions of dollars. That’s why insurance companies often take a hard line against people filing car accident claims.
They don’t intimidate us. We thrive on handling tough legal cases. As your attorney, we will work tirelessly to find the facts you need to build the strongest possible legal case. If the insurance companies don’t cooperate, we won’t hesitate to file a car accident lawsuit on your behalf.
Take your car accident seriously right from the start. Call Karam.
Get the law firm that gets respect in Texas’ Rio Grande Valley. Contact Karam Law Firm and schedule your free case evaluation. We can answer your questions, explain your options and get right to work on your case. The key to winning your case is Karam Law Firm – highly respected and highly trusted McAllen car accident attorneys.