Common Causes of McAllen Truck Accidents
Did speeding, distracted driving or poor maintenance cause your wreck?
A truck accident can happen at any time in McAllen or anywhere in Texas. Your life can be changed in an instant. You are left with serious injuries and the medical expenses can be overwhelming. If your accident was caused by negligence, you deserve financial compensation. The truck accident attorneys at Karam Law Firm fight to help you get the best possible outcome.
Your truck accident may have been caused by a negligent driver or a negligent trucking company – or both. Whoever caused your accident, they may not accept responsibility and often deny doing anything wrong. Our lawyers identify the negligent parties and build strong cases to hold them accountable.
Our truck accident attorneys build strong cases that get results
Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Speeding – Truck drivers are usually on a schedule that they are trying to meet. If they feel they are falling behind schedule, they may exceed the speed limit to make up time. Driving too fast can make a tractor-trailer or other commercial truck hard to control.
- Distracted driving – Drivers may text or talk on the phone while operating a truck. Other distracting activities include operating a GPS, adjusting dashboard controls and eating or drinking. All these activities take the driver’s eyes off the road. It may only be for a few seconds – but that is more than enough time for an accident to happen.
- Fatigued driving – Truck drivers spend long hours behind the wheel. This can result in fatigue, which can affect their judgment and reaction time. Federal regulations limit the hours of service (HOS) for drivers each day and each week and call for mandatory breaks to help ensure drivers don’t get fatigued. Sometimes, drivers may feel pressured to stay on the road longer than they should.
- Inexperience – Driving a tractor-trailer safely requires specific training and skills. Some trucking companies do not conduct proper background checks of their drivers to ensure they are qualified and have a safe driving record.
- Poorly maintained trucks – Truck companies have a responsibility to keep the trucks in their fleet properly maintained and to make needed repairs promptly. Not doing so can lead to mechanical or other problems while a truck is in operation, causing an accident that leaves people hurt.
Contact our truck accident lawyers today for a free consultation
We start by investigating your accident to determine who was responsible. Our legal team gathers evidence, including evidence controlled by the trucking company. We carefully review accident reports and medical records, identify witnesses and, if needed, consult accident reconstruction experts and other specialists.
Attorney Aizar J. Karam Jr. has been practicing law for more than 24 years. He is a highly respected, highly trusted and highly rated attorney. He carries an AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest honor awarded to less than 5 percent of all lawyers. He puts his knowledge and experience to work for you to help you recover the compensation you need and deserve.
Learn more about how we can help after you’ve been hurt in a truck accident. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with an experienced truck accident attorney. We provide aggressive legal representation. Our firm works on a contingency fee basis. That means you owe us nothing unless we win. We have offices conveniently located in McAllen and Edinburg.