What to Do if You Get Hit by a Car
Our highly respected McAllen car accident lawyers explain what to do
Knowing what to do if you have been hit by a car can be confusing. Even knowing what your rights are in a car accident might not be clear. That’s why it’s critical that you talk to someone who can help guide you through this complicated process. That’s why we want to meet with you as soon as possible at Karam Law Firm.
Our McAllen car accident attorneys have years of experience working with people injured in motor vehicle accidents. We understand how the legal system works in Texas. We’re familiar with the laws. We are prepared to do the work that needs to be done to do the job right.
That’s why we’re highly respected lawyers in the Rio Grande Valley. Attorney Aizar J. Karam Jr. has even earned an AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the gold standard for peer reviews by anonymous attorneys. You can count on Karam when it matters most.
What should I do if I get hit by a car?
It’s important to take certain steps if you have been hit by a car. You can also find more information about this topic on our page focusing on what steps to take after a car accident.
In general, many of the steps are the same. First and foremost, it’s important to seek immediate medical attention. Your life could be at risk. It’s also important to contact the police right away and have them respond to your accident. That way, there will be an official accident report for your crash.
There are also subtle differences for what to do depending on the specific circumstances of your crash. These may include:
If I’m in another car…
After calling the police and asking them to send an ambulance, make sure you:
- Get the other driver’s information, including insurance information.
- Talk to anyone who saw your accident. Witness testimony can be critical.
- Take pictures of your accident, if possible.
- Call your insurance company and tell them you have been in an accident.
- Contact our law firm. We can help you every step of the way.
If I’m a pedestrian…
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident caused by a driver, you may be severely injured and unable to gather any information at the scene of your accident. If this is the case, ask someone to call the police, ask for an ambulance and do the following if possible:
- Get the driver’s full name, address, driver’s license number and insurance information.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. This is especially important if your accident occurred in a crosswalk.
- If someone saw your accident, ask someone to get the witnesses’ full name and phone number so investigators can reach them later.
- Call our law firm as soon as possible. We have extensive experience dealing with pedestrian accidents in McAllen and throughout Hidalgo County.
If I’m riding a bike…
If you were injured in a bicycle accident caused by a driver, we strongly recommend that you take the following steps to protect your health and your rights:
- After calling the police, make sure you get the driver’s personal information right away. Many drivers flee bicycle accidents to avoid responsibility.
- Take pictures of your accident, if possible. Make note if there was a bicycle lane or shoulder on the road which the driver veered into at the time of your crash.
- If other cyclists or pedestrians are around, ask them if they saw your accident. If they did, get their full name and phone number so investigators can talk to them.
- Contact our law firm. We know how to handle bicycle accidents and can demand the financial compensation you rightfully deserve.
You have rights. We can fight for them. Call Karam.
The stakes are often very high when it comes to car accidents. Depending on a variety of factors (your injuries, your recovery time, whether you can return to work) your accident-related expenses can quickly add up to thousands or even millions of dollars.
Attorney Karam knows how to analyze accidents and can estimate how much your claim could potentially be worth. He has extensive experience as a lawyer (more than 24 years) and has worked with many insurance companies. As a result, he knows how to negotiate effectively with them. If they refuse to cooperate, he will not hesitate to file a car accident lawsuit on your behalf.
Put your trust in a law firm that puts your needs first. Contact us and schedule your free case evaluation. We can meet with you in our office, your hospital room or wherever’s convenient for you. Our highly respected lawyers have the drive and dedication you need to succeed. The key to winning your case is Karam Law Firm. Call now. We have offices conveniently located in McAllen and Edinburg. We’re ready to earn your trust and get you results.