Personal Injury LawyersMcAllen & Edinburg, Texas

Car Accident FAQ

Answers you can trust from highly respected McAllen car accident lawyers

Have a question about your car accident? Not sure who to ask? Talk to an attorney at Karam Law Firm. Our highly respected McAllen car accident lawyers have years of experience dealing with serious car accidents. We can answer your questions because we know how the legal system works. There’s no substitute for experience. You can count on Karam when it matters most.

What is your car accident question?

Below, you will find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about car accidents. You can also find more information on our page describing the steps to take after a car accident.

If you do not see your specific question, don’t worry. We can help. Even if your question is listed below, we strongly encourage you to contact our law firm and schedule a free case evaluation with us. We have offices conveniently located in McAllen and Edinburg.

Every car accident is different. As a result, the approach to dealing with each crash should be unique. That’s why we take the time to find out exactly what happened and carefully craft a legal strategy that suits your specific needs. The key to winning your case is Karam Law Firm.

Should I call the police after my car accident?

Yes. You should call the police right away after your car accident. There are several reasons why it’s important to have the police investigate your car accident. By having an official police report for your accident, there will hopefully be no questions about exactly what happened and who was at fault. Insurance companies also carefully review police reports when deciding whether to compensate someone for a car accident.

Return To Top

Should I call my insurance company after my car accident?

Yes. Call your insurance company soon after your accident and tell them you have been in an accident caused by another driver. Otherwise, keep your comments about your crash brief. Anything you say could potentially be used to deny your accident claim in certain circumstances, such as a hit-and-run accident, in which you’ll need to file an accident claim with your own insurance company.

Return To Top

What should I do if the other driver’s insurance company contacts me?

Do not talk to them. Legally, you do not have to say anything to the other driver’s insurance company. Their questions might seem simple or straightforward, but they’re just searching for information they can use to reduce or deny your accident claim.

Return To Top

Should I accept a settlement offer from the other driver’s insurance company?

While it can be tempting to accept a settlement offer for your car accident, the reality is many settlement offers don’t even come close to covering all your accident-related expenses. Insurance companies know this. That’s why they often make lowball settlement offers soon after an accident. They’re hoping you’ll simply accept the offer and go away. We can help you evaluate their offer and decide if it’s right for you. Your best interests come first at Karam Law Firm.

Return To Top

Can I ask for more money for my car accident?

Yes. Just because the other driver’s insurance company has made you a settlement offer doesn’t mean you have to accept their first offer. You can ask for more money. In many cases, you should do so, and as your attorney, we can work with you and demand the additional money you deserve for your crash.

Return To Top

How much is my car accident worth?

Every car accident is different. Depending on a wide range of factors – including the severity of your injuries and the length of your recovery – your car accident could be worth thousands or even millions of dollars. That’s why we want to meet with you and help you better understand exactly how much your car accident could potentially be worth.

Return To Top

What can I be compensated for after my car accident?

You should be compensated for all your car accident-related expenses, not just expenses incurred right after your accident. Your compensation should include all future expenses, as well. These may include:

  • Emergency medical care
  • Surgical procedures
  • Physical therapy
  • Follow-up medical care
  • Repair or replacement cost for your vehicle
  • Lost income during recovery
  • Lost future income if you cannot return to work
  • Modifications to your home if you have a permanent disability due to your crash
  • In-home medical care
  • Pain and suffering in certain circumstances

Return To Top

Can I file a lawsuit after my car accident?

Yes. In many cases, filing a car accident lawsuit may be the best way to obtain the financial compensation you deserve for your accident-related expenses. It isn’t the only legal option available to you. That’s why it’s important to talk with an attorney as soon as possible to learn more about all your options.

Return To Top

How much time do I have to file a car accident lawsuit in Texas?

In most cases, you have two years from the date of your car accident to file a lawsuit in Texas. This deadline – known as the statute of limitations – might seem like a long time. In many cases, the sooner you take legal action after your car accident, the better. As time passes, some of the evidence you need to build a strong legal case may no longer exist. Witnesses’ memories can fade, and without the facts, you might have a hard time building a strong legal case.

Return To Top

Why should I hire a McAllen car accident lawyer?

There are so many reasons why you should hire an attorney from our law firm to handle your car accident. First and foremost, we have extensive experience working with people injured in car accidents. As a result, we know the law and truly understand how the legal system works.

It isn’t just what we know which we think sets us apart. It’s our passion for justice. Our commitment to our clients. Our willingness to work hard on every single case. That’s why we have such a well-earned reputation throughout the Rio Grande Valley. You can count on Karam Law when it matters most.

Return To Top

    Contact Us